Train as an infant massage instructor
Learn how to teach infant massage with our baby massage instructor course across the UK and in your home. Our 'open' infant massage instructor training courses are held in Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Cardiff in Wales, London, Doncaster, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Cornwall and also Edinburgh and Glasgow in Scotland.
We also offer a range of other learning options such as in house infant massage instructor courses for children centres and charities, distance learning and one to one training, as well as bespoke options.
Our aim is to train you to be able to deliver a really flexible way of teaching infant massage. We train you in our 4 and 5 week course structure for groups and individuals but really want you to be able to teach it the way your clients and customers need you to.
We have trained people over 1000 infant massage and baby yoga instructors who are out there teaching infant massage in many different settings such as private practice, children's and Flying Start centres, nurseries, paediatric wards, Portage services and additional needs schools, social services, cardiac units and special care baby units to name a few.
What is infant massage?
Infant massage is one of the easiest and most pleasant methods of providing early positive interaction through bonding, fun, trust and relief whilst incorporating nurturing touch, massage and reflexology.
What’s the aim of the diploma in teaching infant massage?
The infant massage instructor training course is designed to provide practitioners with the knowledge and teaching ability to safely and effectively deliver infant / baby massage sessions and courses to parents and babies within a variety of individual and group settings.
Who can go on the infant massage instructor course?
You’ll need to be experienced in just one of the following:
- Childcare practitioner such as a nursery nurse, nanny or childminder
- Sure Start / children's centre worker
- Massage therapy
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health care worker (nurses, health visitors and midwives)
- Parent or experience of children
What can I expect to learn?
- Principles, history and benefits of infant massage
- Preparing for baby massage classes
- Safety aspects and explanations
- Infant development in relation to infant massage
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health considerations for baby massage classes
- Infant massage strokes and movements
- Infant massage in different circumstances
- Infant massage in groups and with individuals
- Setting up and marketing your infant massage business
- Running infant massage courses
What will I receive at the end of the course?
You’ll receive a diploma in teaching infant massage (Instructor Course). Please note this is a therapy diploma and not an academic diploma. This course is also externally CPD (Continuing Professional Development) accredited by the CPD Standards Office and this is stated on your qualification certificate on completion.
Is the course accredited?
Our baby massage instructor training face to face courses are fully accredited as a core therapy by the Complementary Therapists Association - CThA and the Royal College of Midwives - RCM. It has also recently be CPD accredited by the CPD Standards Office and the Federation of Antenatal Educators (FEDANT).
These baby massage teacher training courses are also validated and accredited by the Independent Professional Therapists International - IPTI, the International Institute of Complementary Therapy - IICT, Care-Sure, Yoga-Link and Westminster Indemnity.
This means that you can join the CThA, IPTI, IICT or FEDANT Professional Register and gain insurance for your practice. Our distance learning course for baby massage training is recognised by Westminster Indemnity, FEDANT and The CPD Standards Office.
Do I need any equipment?
You’ll need a doll (preferable soft bodied), towel, small blanket and a cushion.
Can I train in baby yoga as well?
Yes we also offer a baby yoga instructor course. This can be taken separately or combined with any baby massage course to for a further discount.
What else is included?
- All tuition will be led by Julie Cleasby who is an experienced infant massage and baby yoga instructor, registered paediatric nurse and health visitor or one of her experienced team.
- Our team of trainers have backgrounds in midwifery, health visiting, child development, teaching, osteopathy, physiotherapy bringing a wide variety of skills and experience. They have all also previously trained with To Baby and Beyond themselves.
- Access to monthly webinars with Founder Julie Cleasby on a range of topics including massage and yogas updates and also business set up
- You’ll receive a 95 page infant massage instructor handbook containing all the information from the course.
- You’ll also receive an electronic resource folder containing handouts for your courses, video demonstrations and assessment sheets.
- You’ll undertake practical assessments with parents and babies (volunteers permitting).
- Assessment fees.
- Ongoing support throughout your post course self-directed study.
- Access to links with fellow instructors and trainees as well as access to an online forum just for instructors.
- Access to our monthly infant massage and yoga newsletter.
- Opportunities for discounts on further courses.
- Access to further study and review days.
Which infant massage instructor course is right for me?
The following four choices allow you to study for a diploma in teaching infant massage within a location, time frame and environment that works for you.
Royal College of Midwives
Independent Professional Therapists International
International Institute for Complementary Therapists
Why should I learn how to be a baby massage instructor?
I qualified with Julie in autumn 2010 as an Infant Massage Instructor. I run local ‘drop-in massage’ sessions at a few locations and also offer 1-2-1 courses in parent's own homes for them to learn baby massage in a way that is most relevant to them. I absolutely love teaching and how easy it has been to fit my business in with my own life. I'm about to take a break though as I’m due with our next baby in about 10 days!
I qualified as an Infant Massage Instructor with Julie in Nov 2011 whilst I was on maternity leave. I have set up Happy Hands Baby Massage in Teddington and work this around my day job as an Events Manager and my young family. I hope to expand Happy Hands as our family grows and family needs change. Ideally I hope Happy Hands will one day be my main business and hope to add baby yoga, pregnancy massage & more for a rounded experience for mums. There are lots of babies in my area so I am hoping for word of mouth to help me along the way!
I really enjoyed the Infant baby massage distance learning course. I’ve got great support and quick reply to questions I had. Julie was great to work with over our Skype session. My assignments were send back really quickly after marking with feedback that is useful. I recommend the course for anyone interested in taking the distance course. Very happy with this company. Thank you for all the great support and it was great working with you.
Rozanne du Preez
UK Open Courses
These 1 and 2-day infant massage instructor courses involve a small group at a choice of UK venues including Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Cardiff in Wales, London, Doncaster, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Cornwall and also Edinburgh and Glasgow in Scotland or your own home or workplace.
This intensive 1-day baby massage teacher training course is just for individual learners and takes place in your own home or at our venue in Hove.
Home Distance Learning
Our distance learning infant massage instructor training uses Email, Skype and video presentations which allow you to learn how to teach baby massage in your own home and in your own time.
Also in this section
- First aid courses
- Certified infant massage
- Diploma in teaching infant massage (instructor course)
- UK open courses
- One to one
- Home Distance Learning
- Certificate in using infant massage in childcare settings
- Certified baby yoga
- Combined baby massage and yoga training
- Certified toddler yoga
- In house courses