Published: Friday 24 April 2020
In this post we focus on an area of the home that is potentially very hazardous to babies and small children: the kitchen. For example, did you know that 37% of burns and scalds happen to the under 5s? Let's see what can be done to avoid such accidents...
Here are our top ten tips to help avoid accidents occurring in the kitchen. Ask yourself these questions about your home:
- Does your kettle have a 'curly' or short flex?
- Are household chemicals and any medications stored in a secure place?
- Are floor surfaces non-slip and securely fixed?
- Are children kept out of the kitchen during cooking?
- Are children kept way from the iron while it is still hot or in use? A stair gate at the kitchen door can be helpful in situations like this.
- Are sharp knives kept out of reach and stored safely?
- Are pan handles turned in and well clear of hotplates/burners?
- Is the kitchen laid out with well places worktops beside the cooker and the sink so that hot water, or similar, does not have to be unnecessarily moved around the room?
- Is there a well equipped first aid kid easily to hand?
- Is your hot water temperature set to 47 degrees Celsius or less?
Start by making sure you have made your kitchen as safe as possible for family members, young and old. Of course, accidents do happen and we all want to be prepared in an emergency. Join us on our Baby and Child First Aid Course for parents and carers, and learn how you can treat scalds and burns, how to deal with poisoning incidents and other minor accidents that can happen at home.
Both our Paediatric First Aid (for childcare professionals) courses and Baby and Child First Aid (for parents, carers and family) courses are held at locations in Sussex (Brighton & Hove and Angmering near Worthing and Littlehampton).
We also have an online Baby and Child First Aid course that we are pleased to offer at a reduced rate during the Covid-19 lockdown. You can find out more and start the course here.
Search archive by keyword...
- Bonfire Night
- infant massage
- first aid
- sleep tip
- tummy time
- toddler yoga
- accident prevention
- baby massage
- baby yoga
- sleep support
- distance learning
- Paediatric First Aid
- baby first aid
- paediatric first aid
- Student Spotlight
- travel advice
- child safety