Published: Sunday 23 July 2017
We’ve previously looked at preventing poisoning accidents around the home, including household products and button batteries. Here we focus on medications, which we all have at home in some shape or form. Poisoning from medication is the most common type of poisoning in the UK so putting a few measures in place is worth the time and effort.
Want to get up to speed on first aid to make your family safer? Join us on our Baby and Child First Aid course. If you're a childcare professional we offer a Paediatric First Aid course both as an open course with a selection of dates, or as an in-house option.
So here’s our top tips for making your home - and children - safe from medication poisoning:
- Keep all medication out of reach of children and, ideally, out of sight too. If they can be locked in a cupboard or a first aid box, so much the better.
- If possible, buy medications that come in child-resistant containers.
- Don’t keep medication in a handbag or other bag that is may be left lying around. This is especially important to be aware of when you have visitors who may need to carry medication with them.
- Once any medication is finished with, make sure you dispose of it safely. You can take them to your local pharmacy or GP practice who can dispose of them.
- Try not to store medication near food, and never put medicines in alternative containers such as drinks bottles or other food packaging.
- When you visit other homes - especially those without children - be aware of where they store their medicines (and other potential poisons) as it’s likely not everyone will have considered the safety aspects or made their home child-proof.
So make your home that little bit safer with these easy to follow tips.
For more accident prevention advice and how to respond when accidents happen, join us on our Baby and Child First Aid course. We've dates coming up at venues in Sussex or we can help you organise an at-home course.
Search archive by keyword...
- Student Spotlight
- distance learning
- accident prevention
- toddler yoga
- baby yoga
- baby massage
- child safety
- first aid
- sleep support
- paediatric first aid
- baby first aid
- infant massage
- Paediatric First Aid