Published: Saturday 02 November 2019
We hope you’re looking forward to a fun Bonfire Night! Unfortunately there are injuries every year as a result of Bonfire Night, whether from fireworks, bonfires or sparklers.
Evidence points towards public firework displays being safer than ones held at home. Let someone else take the responsibility of the display, while you enjoy it with your family and friends.
However, if you do decide to host your own firework or bonfire event, keep these tips in mind for a safer Bonfire Night:
- Ensure all children are properly supervised both around the bonfire or any fireworks.
- Do not wear loose clothing or anything that could flap into a fire. Similarly, tie back long hair.
- Fireworks should be kept in a box, and removed one at a time.
- Use a taper to light your firework and keep it at arm’s length. Do not have any other naked flames or cigarettes around the fireworks.
- Make sure fireworks are pointed to fire away from people.
- Nominate one person to be responsible for the bonfire so they are fully aware of when it is lit, managing it when it is alight and ensuring that it is properly extinguished.
- Situate your bonfire or firework display away from any wooden objects such as fences, benches, sheds or gazebos.
- Make sure that you have a bucket of water on hand for any accidents or to put out any loose material that escapes from the fire.
- Do not use petrol, paraffin, meths or any other flammable liquid to ignite your fire. Fire-lighters are a safer method.
- As mentioned previously, make sure that the fire is extinguished properly at the end of the night.
- Your display should legally be finished by 11pm.
We hope you have a safe and fun Bonfire Night!
Don't forget we run Baby and Child First Aid courses in Brighton & Hove and Angmering, as well as Paediatric First Aid courses for childcare professionals. Feel prepared in an emergency with essential first aid skills, including how to treat burns.
Search archive by keyword...
- toddler yoga
- sleep tip
- accident prevention
- baby massage
- distance learning
- first aid
- baby yoga
- infant massage
- sleep support
- Paediatric First Aid
- baby first aid
- Bonfire Night
- paediatric first aid
- Student Spotlight
- travel advice
- child safety